Top 5 Best Sunscreen for Rosacea – 2017 Reviews and Top Picks
Getting the right sunscreen for your skin is very difficult. Add Rosacea to the already difficult situation and you get a minefield of a challenge.
Well, based on research we have done, and advice from professionals, we have come up with a clear and easy-to-follow guide to getting the best one for you.
Rosacea is a skin condition which manifests with acne like symptoms.
It mostly affects adults and is characterized by redness on the face especially the cheeks, nose, forehead and sometimes the eyes.
Although it is incurable, it can be managed by applying sunscreen and a number of other methods including following a strict skin care regiment.
Sunscreen that is suitable for rosacea is very specific, it should ideally have an anti inflamatory agent among other things that we shall discuss.
Finding the right product for you needs may sometimes be difficult, there are many variations in the ingredients used some of which could potentially be deal breakers.
We have, however, taken this into account and we shall show you exactly what to look out for when you go buying one for yourself.
What makes a good moisturizer for Rosacea?
A good moisturizer for rosacea should;
1. NOT irritate the skin. As compared to non sufferers, rosacea patients have more sensitive skin. Most sunscreen products off the shelf have ingredients that usually react with their skin. A good sunscreen takes this into account and avoids including harmful ingredients.
2. Ideally have zinc and titanium oxide as the main sun-screening agent. These two have been found to offer great compatibility with many rosacea patients.
3. Be easy to remove when it is not needed anymore. It should come off completely to allow more skin care steps like absorption of medications. Usually, sunscreen containing more than 15% zinc tends to be harder to remove. Ensure your sunscreen does not exceed this amount.
4. Have a high SPF. This is the sun protection factor and it is basically a measure of how well a particular sunscreen protects people from UVB rays (whose sunburns often cause cancer). In normal skin people an SPF 01 15 is usually good enough. However, the increased sensitivity in rosacea patients requires that the sunscreen they use have an SPF of at least 40.
5. Keep the use of preservatives to an absolute minimum. According to research (http://www.rosacea-treatment-clinic.com.au/Rosacea-Sunscreens/Parabens.html) using a preservative known as methylparaben in sunscreen for example, often worsens the response of the skin to sunlight.
How using sunscreen can help Rosacea? (What are the advantages of using this type of product?)
- 1. Sunscreen meant for rosacea patients contains soothing and powerful sun-screening ingredients. Using it over time replenishes the youthfulness of your skin plus, it improves its complexion.
- 2. Lost moisture is replenished by the healing remedies contained in sunscreen. These remedies also cool the skin.
- 3. These sunscreen products are usually non chemical and as a result, they do no harm when applied to your skin.
- 4. Since they are infused with minerals, the larger mineral particles sit on the skin pores and prevent absorption of any harmful agents thus preventing inflammation of the skin. Overall, using sunscreen reduces redness on the entire face, prevents flushing of the skin and provides a great skin barrier for rosacea patients.
What's the best way to use this product? (Prerequisites To Using The Product.)
First, using sunblock is highly recommended for all,
...however, those with rosacea are adviced to use sunscreen all through the year regardless of cloud cover or the season.
The sun contains ultra violet radiation which is particularly harmful to rosacea suferers. Before using any product;
1. Do your own research.
We have tried to inform you the best way we know how but as an added initiative, try to find the right formulation for yourself.
It will most likely follow our guide and will certainly be good for you to know what you are going to be putting on your face.
Remember that as much as customer reviews may be positive, they may not always mirror what you end up feeling.
2. Be methodical.
What we mean is, keep a simple and easy to follow routine of your skin care journey and measure the success.
Be smart about how you manage your condition.
Keep watch of any factors that may result in a poor response from your skin.
These factors may include, weather conditions, altitude and the amount applied.
3. Keep your skin clean.
It is crucial for you to maintain a high level of hygiene throughout your skin care regiment.
Inflammation of the skin in rosacea patients may be caused by accumulation of foreign particles leading you to deem a particular sunscreen useless.
Ensure your affected skin is cleaned well before application and after you are done needing the sunscreen clean it off completely to allow maximum efficacy of other skin care procedures.
How To Choose The Right Product Based On Your Needs.
In case you have acne prone skin, you should avoid products that contain preservatives, scents, PABA or oxybenzone and alcohols.
Gels, containing alcohol, are usually more drying and end up causing less irritation to people especially acne prone patients.
However, these patients should keep off greasy sunscreens as they may further aggravate the acne breakouts.
For acne prone patients using topical medications, gels may be irritating and as such, using a light lotion is the best option.
In case you have drying skin look out for suncreen which has a moisturizer.
Great moisturizers to look for include; lanolin, oils and silicones like dimethicone.
Such sunscreens are usually packaged as creams, ointments or lotions and many manufacturers may refer to them in this way.
In case you have a history of skin cancer, you have very fair skin or you have melasma, you should look for an sunscreen with an SPF higher than 30.
Applying the formula once may not achieve the indicated SPF and you may need to reapply at intervals of at least two hours.
In case you are of a darker complexion, try to avoid sunscreens that make you look chalky when the dry up.
They tend to be more pronounced due to your darker skin color. Such products usually have titanium based ingredients.
Also, since darker people have more melanin, a sunscreen having an SPF of at least 15 will do.
Reviews of The Best Products
As the name may suggest, this is a water based sunscreen which means that it is ideal for people with oily skin.
It does not leave any white cat on the skin making it ideal for people with darker complexions.
This is a great product and contrary to most products in its price group, it is very light.
This mainly stands out since it is water based, you can apply it underneath your make up and still feel light on your face.
It has an SPF of 50 which is high making it very effective in preventing cancer related sunburns.
Despite needing to be reapplied regularly, it comes in a 50g tubing pack and with a single purchase you get two packs. It is definitely well worth the money.
This is a well dermatological tested product that ensures maximum prevention of inflammation.
It is infused with minerals and anti oxidants that ensure your sensitive skin is kept from flaming up.
It comes off easily and requires repeated reapplication especially after any activity involving close contact.
Despite this, it is great when it come to clearing completely off for application of other topical treatments.
What stands out with this sunscreen is that it prevents the entry of free radicals into the skin's pores with the use of infused minerals and antioxidants.
It is packed into a 1.7 Fl. Oz. bottle which despite costing more than you'd expect, is pretty worth it
It has an SPF of 50 and as a benefit to having this, it is able to keep sun burn at bay.
Also due to the fact that is made by highly skilled professionals, it strike a perfect balance to your skin care regiment.
- Two 3-fluid ounce bottles of sunscreen lotion
- Broad Spectrum SPF 45 helps prevent sunburn
- Helioplex Broad Spectrum UVA/UVB protection
This is unique sunscreen in that it does not leave a shiny finish after application thanks to its dry touch technology.
It protects against both UVB and UVA rays which gives it a wide scope and a better efficacy as a sunscreen.
Thanks to an extra technology known as helioplex, it is able to maximize sun screening as it can be used along with any other plan.
What stands out the most is the ability of this sunscreen to protect against UVA and UVB rays. It has an SPF of 45 which is pretty high.
This makes it especially good for preventing cancer as it prevent you from getting UVB related sunburns. It is packed into a 3 Fl. Oz.
- Laser, Cosmetic Surgery, Microdermabrasion, Acid,...
- - 100% Free of Oils, Chemical Sunscreens, Oils,...
- - Provides broad spectrum UVA/UVB protection -...
The thing about this sunscreen that will grab your attention is its indication.
It will work well for you in case you have sensitive skin and it will also tame sensitivity that is caused by topical medications and procedures.
It is water resistant though some customers differ.
It lasts for about 40 minutes before needing reapplication. It has an SPF of
It is stable under the sun and will still remain effective despite high levels of solar radiation.
It works by forming a skin barrier that mimics a mirror thus deflecting harmful UVA and UVB rays.
It is packed into a 3.5 Ounce tubing and together with the fact that it can stay up to 40 minutes before requiring reapplication, it is worth its value.
It also contains zinc and titanium dioxide which makes it a very efficient sunscreen.
Q. I have special sunscreen, topical medication and special makeup. In what order should these three things be applied to my face?
A. From both medical and cosmetic standpoints, it makes much more sense to apply your medication before applying your sunscreen and makeup.
Q. Can rosacea be diagnosed early?
A.Yes. In some cases, teenagers who have shown syptoms or rosacea have been diagnosed as having the condition dispite not having reached the common age where rosacea affects people.
Q. Is rosacea treatable?
A. Yes and No Different conditions cause rosacea and as a result, the cause has to be established first then the treatment determined. That being said, there are many ways to manage the syptoms and the first is to keep a healthy skin care regiment. Using the appropriate sunscreen is also a must and regular check ups with your dermatologist.
Based on our own assessment, the Biore Sarasara UV Aqua Rich Watery Essence Sunscreen is the best sunscreen for rosacea. It offers the best balance of pros and cons. It also tries to accommodate the needs of other rosacea sufferers especially with the fact that it is water based. Despite having given our top pick, we acknowledge that other people may have an issue with the water based option and may opt for other products. In this regard, we have discussed other sunscreens as well.
Last update on 2017-10-21 - Details