Is Sensitive Skin Slowing Your Hair Down? Let Us Help You!
According to the American Academy of Dermatology, 20% of people in the US alone suffer from hair loss often triggered by a sensitive scalp. It sounds messy and it is. This is why the hair cosmetic industries globally have taken the step to cater for this market segment by making shampoos for sensitive skin.
With millions of products promising results, it’s easy to get lost. But we have you covered. Today we talk about everything to do with sensitive skin and as usual, give a list of the best shampoos for sensitive skin that guarantee results and deliver. Keep reading to find out more.
What exactly is sensitive skin?
This is a dermatological condition where the skin experiences irritation which leads to itching often when one uses certain cosmetic products. In a study conducted by the British Association of Dermatologists, nearly 50% of women and 35% of men questioned in the UK complained of having sensitive skin.
Another worrying statistics from the Dermatology journal is that of 20% of women and 9% of men experiencing hair loss and hair damage once complained of sensitive skin. This goes to show that ignoring sensitive scalp will eventually lead to more severe problems.
But before we get into this, it’s wise to address the elephant in the room. Do you have sensitive skin or are you imagining things?
Do you have sensitive skin?
Sensitive skin, especially on the scalp, sounds easy to diagnose and treat. It’s not. It’s often a chronic hypo allergic reaction that needs to be checked out by a dermatologist. Nonetheless, some signs and symptoms are easy to spot, so if you have any of the symptoms below, consider seeing a dermatologist.
- · You often have skin reactions to products even though mild that leads to bumps, pustules, and skin erosion.
- · Skin that is often too dry, itchy and irritant scalp is perhaps the best telltale signs.
- · Red patches and often preceding or followed by stinging and flushes on your skin.
What are the causes of sensitive skin?
While in most cases sensitive scalp is caused by genetics in some cases, many extrinsic factors result in sensitive skin. Let’s get right to it, shall we?
- · Diet: - what you eat and drink may play a role in what is happening with your skin.
- · Skin disorder: - such as psoriasis, seborrhea dermatitis causes chronic inflammation that affects the scalp leading to red patches, flaky and red skin.
- · Age: - the younger you are the more sensitive your skin is. This is because your skin is still growing, as the protective layer the epidermis has not properly matured to protected the other layers.
- · Gender: - it is common for women to have sensitive skin than men. This is based on the fact that a man's skin and his general body develop faster and tougher while that of women is much slower.
Another culprit of sensitive skin is exposure. If you did not have sensitive skin but now you can’t stop scratching for the life of you, it may be due to exposure to some elements. These elements include:
- · Chemicals and ultraviolet irritants: - most chemical added to hair shampoos and other products like dyes, treatments, wave solution or straightener may contain chemicals that may react with your skin negatively.
Chemical such as Sulphate, Parabens, Formaldehyde has especially been widely mentioned in studies. So you want to avoid shampoos with the products sensitive skin or not.
UV, on the other hand, plays a role in reducing the epidermis layer and hence compromises its protection ability.
- · Skin infection and infestation: - it’s no surprise that infestation by mites and lice among other pests can cause scalp itching. Failure to get rid of these pests usually results in the development of a sensitive scalp.
Ringworms are the other common cause of itching and soreness on the scalp, especially in children. This is an easily treatable condition but if left unattended to, can lead to much bigger scalp and hair problems.
- · Trauma: - when you have a head injury that leads to temporary swelling after your injuries subside, it is not strange to experience sensitivity in your scalp. At times, it even leads to hair loss.
How to use a new shampoo on your sensitive skin.
Often in the beauty industry, you will find people using a product due to recommendations from friends or expecting to get the same results as another person. Well, sometimes this works. Other time, it goes horribly wrong especially if you have sensitive skin.
What I’m driving at is, if you have sensitive skin, you ought to take a little more care than the ordinary person when trying out new products. This means, before lathering up a new shampoo, you ought to do the following first;
- · Read the label to know the ingredients in it. Most shampoos claim to be natural and chemical free but a look at ingredients tells a different tale.
- · There is no shame in consulting your doctor before using a new product. This is especially if your case is severe.
- · Read other customer reviews to see if anybody reacted to it. This might save you a lot of pain in future.
- · Always, and I mean always, conduct a patch test when dealing with a new product. Even after the patch test, use it sparingly on the first try to be thorough enough.
- · A visit to a professional hairdresser when using a new product will allow your scalp to be monitored every step of the way.
- · You are still not in the clear. Observe you skin and scalp for the next 24 hours since some chemicals take time to kick in.
THE SAFEST SHAMPOOS FOR SENSITIVE SKIN THIS YEAR.
Your Scalp and hair health is of paramount importance to the people at Maple Holistic (responsible for making the Aragan Oil Shampoo). In the spirit of understanding and taking care of your sensitive skin, this product comes with six effective oils that work to get you that healthy hair you so much desire. It is also infused with Vitamin A, B1, B2, D and E that work to increase hair strength and eliminate frizz.
With no chemical additives including hair dyes and Sulphates, your sensitive skin will not be irritated whatsoever. It, however, contains some mild fragrance meant to leave your hair smelling heavenly without upsetting your scalp. This shampoo can be used for all hair types the result being strong, voluminous and anti-dandruff hair all day every day.
- · It has a hypoallergenic formula with nourishing essential oils of jojoba, Shea, hibiscus, and camellia.
- · It works to rejuvenate and heal hair from years of damage and exposure.
- · Promotes easy management of hair and prevents frizz.
- · Its moisturizing blend ensures for a hydrated hair and scalp.
- · It is great for all skin types.
- · It is not a good choice for a detangling shampoo.
- · The amount is limited only 8 oz. only which may be too little if you wash your hair daily.
One thing that makes products for sensitive skin stand out is clinical testing and recommendation by a medical professional. Puracy offers this and so much more. It combines the powerful properties of a cleanser, emollients and essential oils for perfect hair and scalp.
When cleaning your hair often chemicals dry out your scalp. All natural Puracy ensures your scalp and hair are constantly hydrated. It is designed for both men and women with normal, oily, dry and color treated hair. This balanced product offers you a refreshing citrus and mint scent that lasts in your hair until the next wash. Food grade, plant and mineral based ingredients that are pet safe, child safe and an effective household essential are used in the making of puracy shampoos.
- · It's family friendly and can be used by children, pets and adults alike.
- · Environmentally friendly with a biodegradable formulation.
- · Clinically formulated, tested and approved.
- · Developed for both men and women with various hair types.
- · It id great for detangling, moisturizing, reducing static among other things.
- · It is all natural with no chemical additives especially Sulphate, triclosan, salicylates, Parabens.
- · Build and developed with a citrus and mint aroma to improve your bathing experience.
- · The scent is on the heavier side and too floral especially for a masculine user.
Affordability is a key concern for most people looking for natural products, especially for sensitive skins. ArtNatural gives its users an affordable yet luxurious alternative in combating sensitive skin.
It has a gentle, natural shower spa treatment formula that revives damaged hair. To add to this it’s Moroccan argan oil helps to moisturize, soothe and heal the dry, UV and chemically damaged hair.
The presence of jojoba in the ingredients is a bonus as it helps in promoting hair growth. It also comes with peach, avocado and almond oil, to provide better hydration and end your long battle with frizz. While doing all this, your sensitive scalp stays unaffected by this chemical free, natural shampoo.
- · It has natural herbal extracts, protein and vitamin E for better hair growth and maintenance.
- · Argan oil helps in moisturizing, healing, reducing flaking and dry scalp hence might help reduce skin sensitivity.
- · It comes at an affordable price and in a generously large bottle.
- · Jojoba oil, peach, avocado and almond oils are great for overall hair and scalp health.
- · This is not the best shampoo for oily hair as it may add more oil to it.
Pure tea tree oil shampoo is an effective way to kill germs that often take advantage of your dry, itchy scalp resulting in an infection. This is all thanks to its antifungal, antibacterial and head lice prevention formulation which are geared to this end.
It also acts to eliminate dry itchy and flaky scalp thanks to its moisturizing properties. It works as the perfect hair growth therapy regimen for hair that has thinned, damaged or shed.
Its formulation is very family friend as it can be used by men, women and kids alike. Hydration, soothing, healthy hair maintenance are at the heart of its formulae with tea tree oil.
It is a safe, environmentally friendly and hypoallergenic formulation using natural and botanical lavender with soothing properties on your hair and scalp. With rosemary added to the mix, this makes it the perfect shampoo for your sensitive skin.
- · Natural ingredients for moisturizing and ultra-hydration of skin and hair follicle.
- · Safe, environmentally friendly and hypoallergenic formulae.
- · Chemical free including Sulphate and Parabens.
- · Soothe scalp while restoring sheen and gloss of your hair.
- · It prevents lice as a bonus.
- · Its anti-fungal properties may lead to killing even the good bacteria.
If you are looking for a shampoo were with less you get so much more, then get the Calily life organic tea tree shampoo. Its high concentration coupled with a blend of tea tree oil infused with special and exceptional Dead Sea mineral makes for a remarkable shampoo.
These all comes together to remove dirt, reintegrate, soften and nursing your hair and scalp. Its deep penetration allows it to work wonders on your hair follicles and scalp conditioning.
Its anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory advantages have gone to help stop hair loss, dry scalp, and anti-dandruff and stop lice infestation. All the minerals, essential oils, extracts, and vitamins, nourishes, moisturizes and cleans the hair and scalp.
- · Chemical free formulae.
- · It is Organic and natural according to FDA guidelines.
- · Promotes hair growth by removing dead cells and nourishing hair roots.
- · Contains anti-androgenic properties that lead to hair loss.
- · Includes special rare Dead Sea mineral that works with other ingredients to soothe your sensitive skin.
- · Use a small amount at a time to prevent product build up.
The Take Away.
If you ask anyone with sensitive skin why they do not use the right product, the answer you are likely to get is, “but it’s expensive!” While this might be true for most products targeted at people with sensitive skin, it does not mean you should ignore your condition.
As echoed throughout this guide, sensitive skin can lead to some serious cases of hair loss (yikes!). So, apart from visiting a dermatologist, make sure you use the right products. Speaking of, if I had to go with one shampoo, I'd probably pick the Argan oil shampoo by maple holistic. Simply because other than being targeted for hypoallergenic skin, this shampoo goes the extra mile to nourish your hair and scalp.
Finally, trust the products we have given you in our best shampoo for sensitive skin round up. You will thank me later! If you have any questions or would like to share your experience, please leave me some word in the comment section.