Korean beauty products have been making huge waves on the international skincare and cosmetics scene for the last few years. Their effective formulas and affordable prices made them an instant hit among western beauty lovers.
So when it came to searching for the best Korean primers in the market, we at BeautyShortcutips took the cue and scoured the exciting world of Korean cosmetics.
We found a wide range of primers to suit your skincare needs and compiled the top five products for you to choose from.
- What’s so Great About Korean Primers?
- List of 5 Best Korean Primers Reviews
- What Makes a Spectacular Primer?
- And the Best Primer Award Goes to…
What’s so Great About Korean Primers?
The great thing about Korean beauty products is their attention to detail. With such a scrutinizing market, they have to be paying extra attention to their clients to make a dent in the expanding beauty industry.
Like most of their cosmetic products, Korean primers aren’t just made to keep your makeup on for an hour or two longer, it’s made for so much more. We have primers made specifically for certain types of makeup, skin type, tone, etc. If you’re a bit sensitive to scents, we’ve also included products on this list that has a very mild and non-overpowering smell.
Based on my experience, Korean makeup tends to have very strong perfume-like smells to it. While I don’t particularly mind, there are those who prefer non-scented cosmetics and we’ve taken that into consideration.
List of 5 Best Korean Primers Reviews
1. Innisfree No-Sebum Blur Primer
- You won’t want to miss this primer that comes in a purse-sized container! The secret is in the 25 ml of blurring goodness. Apply on top of your makeup for a translucent, matte finish that’s the perfect canvas for your beauty arsenal.
- Don’t skip on this one you can throw it into your bag anytime and get ready faster than ever before! Plus, thanks to its natural mineral ingredients – like those from Jeju Island – skin feels soft, smooth, and silky without a hint of feeling heavy.
- Beautiful skin starts with the perfect primer. With natural ingredients, this primer smoothes on your skin, to set makeup flawlessly. Oil-Free Primer features a unique blend of mineral powders and moisturizers that provide lightweight coverage, without the messiness of other primers – no more shiny face!
2. Etude House Beauty Shot Face Blur SPF33/PA Plus
- Keep your skin flawless and radiant with Etude House’s Beauty Shot Face Blur SPF33/PA Plus. This lightweight cream provides multi-blurring pigments that give you a smooth, matte finish to your skin. Your pores will look minuscule, and you’ll be able to say goodbye to those pesky unwanted blemishes for good.
- This lightweight cream is perfect for a dewy, youthful complexion. With SPF33 and PA Plus this product is ideal for everyday wear during the daytime while not being too heavy on the skin. Help reduce pores and pre-mature aging.
- Hard-working formulation balances oil and moisturizes…without clogging pores. Keeps skin looking fresh for hours while acting as a natural sun protector during the summer months! And we’re not just talking about any SPF either-we’ve upgraded to PA+ technology which tests at 35 points better than an ordinary sunscreen’s UVA/UVB protection level.
3. Aritaum Pore Master Sebum Control Primer
- Beauty enthusiasts have been raving about the Aritaum Pore Master Sebum Control Primer as the closest (and most affordable) dupe for the cult favorite Benefit Porefessional primer. It comes in a handy 0.9 ounce tube perfect for keeping in your on-the-go makeup kit.
- The consistency and appearance of the product is very similar to the Benefit Porefessional primer and is made out of breathable polymer gel base to avoid clogging the pores and causing breakouts.
- Scent wise, the Aritaum Pore Master doesn’t have much of a strong fragrance to it compared to other Korean cosmetics. Which for me is preferable since there are those who are a bit more sensitive to having strong scents on their faces.
- To get a more in-depth comparison of the Aritaum Pore Master and the Benefit Porefessional, check out this Youtube video by beauty blogger TheBeautyBreakdown. Here, she makes a side-by-side comparison of the two products.
4. Innisfree Cushion Primer
- This primer is recommended by experts as the perfect accessory to customize your cushion makeup and make it look even more natural. It also leaves a lovely glow on the skin which will make you want to bear that radiant skin of yours all day.
- Recently our friends and customers have asked us about the new product that has been advertised as “the one makeup step you can’t live without”. As Innisfree seeks to be your go-to for natural skincare, we thought it best to offer a perspective into this beauty essential.
- Unlike traditional primers, the slim-fitting primer contains a nonflaking moisture gel formula that minimizes pores and controls shine for brighter-looking skin is perfect as a foundation primer or on its own! Despite seeming like a contradiction in terms (primer = matte finish), this lightweight, high-gloss moisturizer hydrates but never looks shiny.
5. Etude House Face Conditioning Cream
- Another product from Etude House, the Etude House Face Conditioning Cream may not have the blurring properties of the other primer, but it still packs a punch when it comes to keeping your skin nice and hydrated.
- Out of all the primers on this list, this has to be the most dry skin friendly. Most primers focus more on oil control to help keep makeup from slipping and sliding throughout the day. If oil isn’t really your problem, then maybe this one is the primer for you.
- This product gives your skin an extra barrier without drying you out. It also claims to have whitening effects, perfect for getting rid of dark spots and discoloration.
- Like the other products on this list, it does have a bit of an issue when it comes to being too light for other skin tones. This product does cast a bit of a white sheen when used by those with tanned skin.
What Makes a Spectacular Primer?
The beauty market is filled to the brim with primers for every skin type, condition, and taste. So with all the choices available, how do you know which one is best for you? Luckily, we at BeautyShortcutips have compiled a few things to keep in mind when picking out the right primer.
1. Longer makeup wear
Of course, this is a primer’s main role in your beauty routine. A good primer is supposed to be an adhesive barrier between your skin and your makeup, helping it last longer. It also prevents certain types of foundation from oxidizing on your face which could lead to discoloration.
2. Oil Control
Oil and sebum is your biggest enemy when it comes to making sure your makeup stays in place. It’s only natural (and healthy!) for your skin to produce its own oils to keep itself hydrated. So a great primer should keep excess oil at bay to ensure your face is shine-free and looking fabulous all day long.
3. Natural Ingredients
As the saying goes, you are what you eat. Why should your skin be any different? One of the best things about Korean beauty is their emphasis on using mostly natural ingredients on their skincare and cosmetic products.
Their principle is, if it’s not good enough to eat, then it’s probably not good enough for your skin. Which is why you’ll find facemasks made of tomatoes or honey in Korean stores. As for their primers, they do try to keep things natural and refrain from animal testing.
4. Added benefits
While primers are made mostly to help prep the skin for longer makeup wear, it doesn’t hurt for it to give your skin a little extra boost before piling all the makeup. Some of the best primers in the market are even good enough to use on its own even without foundation!
So when you’re feeling like going a bit more au naturel, just grab a good primer and skip the foundation altogether.
And the Best Primer Award Goes to…
After much deliberation, we’ve decided to award the title of ‘Best Korean Primer‘ to Innisfree No-Sebum Blur Primer! It has been proven to be effective for those with oily skin through its sebum-control feature with the added benefit of concealing large pores. It’s also tinted so you could choose to just apply this without foundation for a more natural look.
While the Etude House Beauty Shot Face Blur came very close and produces similar effects, the Innisfree formula holds a little better and lasts longer than the one from Etude House. Also, the mild minty scent of the Innisfree formula is less overpowering and more suited for those with a sensitive noses.
Besides being an excellent choice for women (and men!) with sensitive skin, Innisfree was also named by the Korean animal rights group KARA (Korean Animal Rights Activists) as an excellent choice for vegan beauty lovers for their stance on animal testing and animal-derived ingredients.
You can check out more of their products and the No-Sebum line on their website.